Slow Beer

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Cellar Notes - Red Oak Wee Heavy

Best Before March 2007 / Tasted April 2007 (8/20)
Not a beer I would normally 'cellar' in the true sense of the word but its been interesting to watch this beer evolve. My first sample was of the best before June 2006 bottling in September 2005 - a competent beer if not mindblowing, kinda like a lightweight barley wine (13/20). A more recent tasting of this bottling was in mid 2006 and the beer was much more impressive with a thick and silky smooth palate driven by beautiful sweet malts.

Unfortunately the BB March 2007 I'm tasting now doesn't look so good - metallic pings, relatively thin, somewhat unpleasant stewed fruits on the nose. I really hope this is a bad bottle!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Pretty sure I've got a couple of bottles of this stashed away somewhere. I guess I owe it to you to dig one out and see if yours was a fluke. :)

    Lach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 pm  

  • Errr.....I hope it wasn't me that provided you with the necessary encouragement to cellar this beer. The beer I had a while back was an absolute cracker.....but Sunday night's sucked big time. Be interested to see how you go with your stash.

    By Blogger Stewart Went, at 10:41 pm  

  • Dug a bottle out the other night. Smelled very good - definite oxidation but certainly not offensively so, nice smokiness, toffee and berries - but tasted decidedly lactic! It was a bit of a shock initially, but it wasn't so sour that I couldn't enjoy it. Once I adjusted to it I kinda got into it, but I certainly wouldn't call it an aging success. The weirdest part was the sediment in the bottom of the bottle though - it was like this thick, clear slime. Not cool. Like all Redoaks in my experience, fresh is best.

    Lach

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 am  

Post a Comment



<< Home


 
Free Web Counters
Free Counter